Anniversaries are important milestones in every relationship. Whether it’s the one year mark since your first date or your 10th wedding anniversary, acknowledging and celebrating these annual milestones are more important than you think. Here are seven reasons why.
- Anniversaries give you an opportunity to reflect on what is working and what is not in your relationship. If the relationship is relatively new, this is the time to determine if you should move forward toward more commitment or move on to someone new. If the relationship is well established, this is the time to get help if help is needed.
- For long-term marriages and relationships, anniversaries give you the opportunity to formally create a new vision for what you want to create with your life partner. Taking the time to connect in this meaningful way sets the stage for a year of renewal, intimacy and joy.
- Although it is important to let your partner know how much you love and appreciate having him/her in your life every day, often life’s demands and routines get in the way. Anniversaries provide the space to do this in a profound and dramatic way. Be thoughtful, creative and authentic. Expressing your gratitude for each other can help ease the way for any challenges that may come.
- It is human nature to focus on what is wrong—what is wrong with you, your mate, and your relationship. Anniversaries are a time to focus on what is right. Taking the time to reflect on all the adversaries you overcame and the joyous events you’ve shared can ignite a new commitment to your partnership. Getting lost in the day to day details can be cumbersome. Looking at the big picture and taking a long-term perspective can help you appreciate the true value of your relationship.
- Anniversaries are a time for self-reflection. Who have you been when it comes to being a partner or spouse? How do you feel about this? Do you have any regrets? Do you need to make any amends? This is the time for taking personal inventory and responsibility. You then can make a commitment to what kind of partner or spouse you want to be going forward.
- Anniversaries give you permission to go out and do something special. They are meant to be fun! So if you’ve been putting off that vacation getaway or have been eating at the same restaurant for years, this is the time to go for it! Take that vacation, try that new restaurant, and celebrate!
- Anniversaries are natural markers for writing the next chapter in your life together. You may decide that this is the year you will buy that home or move to the northwest or start your family or grow your family. Take advantage of this natural transition and just do it!
If you or someone you know is struggling with creating a strong and intimate relationship, please reach out and contact me. I am here to provide personalized guidance and coaching. And if you want to start right now, go and purchase The Pathway to Love at-home program. You don’t need to wait. You can begin the process today. Take advantage of the opportunity receive the support and guidance you deserve.
Don’t forget to join me for my LIVE Create Your Pathway to Love Workshop on February 23, 9am-1pm in Hermosa Beach, California. For more information and to register, go to www.yourpathwaytolove.eventbrite.com.
As always, I’m here to support you in creating strong and powerful relationships.
Julie Orlov, psychotherapist, speaker, and author of The Pathway to Love: Create Intimacy and Transform Your Relationships through Self-Discovery
Retrieve Your FREE Relationship Assessment Quiz and see if YOUR Relationship is on track at www.julieorlov.com/quiz
Create Relationships in Your Life That Work — learn more at www.julieorlov.com